Thursday, June 25, 2015

Teenagers and Bowling

My teen aged son and seven of his friends went bowling tonight. They graduated from 8th grade and this is how they chose to celebrate, a group of them got together at Tonawanda Lanes and "bowled." I made the mistake of thinking they were there to Bowl. I mean, we were at a bowling alley, they had the shoes, they chose the balls. Pretty sure that means someone's going to bowl. Alas, I was wrong. They did roll the balls down the lanes and some managed to knock a few pins down. I tried giving advice. Where does my expertise come from? College. Yes, I took a course in bowling. I needed a PhysEd credit and I certainly didn't want to get physical so I took bowling. So I know technique, I know how to hold the ball, I learned how to adjust for spin and all that. I tried. Good God, I tried. It was about half way through the first game that I realized they didn't really want to learn to bowl. They wanted to take selfies with each other and socialize. They wanted to feel like big kids, I mean they're technically in high school now, right? So, they did just that. They laughed, they joked, they shared food, they danced around and in between they bowled. I enjoyed every minute of it, all the silliness, all the noise, the giggles and guffaws. It was awesome to see kids out being kids. I'm not so old I don't remember what it was like to be a kid. I'm glad I decided to be the chaperon. And I'm now the cool mom. That's quite an honor. Glad I had the opportunity to glimpse into the life of teens and remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment