Thursday, June 25, 2015

Welcome to Rattled My Cage

Welcome. I was always taught if you are going to threaten consequences you'd better be prepared to follow through. So here I am, following through. I threatened to start a blog and here it is. I spent a good full half hour considering the title and it dawned on me when I was on Facebook. I saw an article, and I started to comment and thought better of it. I thought, man this really rattles my cage. EUREKA! A title! And that is the story of my blog title.

So what was the article? BBC World News posted an article that had this catchy status, "It's time we took seriously the issue of paternal age and its effect on the next generation of children." Then check out the headline, "Freeze Sperm at 18 Bioethicists Urges Men". Hmmm....really?  Wait, they're blaming old dads for an increase in autism? FINALLY IT'S NOT THE MOMS FAULT! I thought that we were to blame for everything. When I was having my son I heard the words every women dreads. "Advanced Maternal Age." Look, I didn't take LSD or smoke crack, I merely celebrated a birthday or two more than the other tart in the waiting room. I can't help it if I wasn't "catching" pregnant until 8 years after my daughter was born! So get this...if you think I was old, upon hearing that I was expecting our son my husband said, "You gotta be kidding me, I'll have to get a day pass from the nursing home to play with my kid!" Not once, though, did my doctor mention "Advanced Paternal Age" in that soft, accusatory tone. NOT ONCE! He saved, that all for me. He was also the guy that didn't come into the delivery room until the last minute because he heard me "sounding like you were in pain." You're in the wrong business, pal. Anyway, back to the article. Here's what  my comment was going to be. "STOP. Just stop and let people make babies the way we always made babies when we wanted to make said babies." Truth be told, there will be some nice teen aged boys making babies at prime sperm time...but that certainly doesn't make the good daddies, just boys with good sperm. So I suggest we continue as we have for all of time and make our babies, raise our babies and send them off in the world to continue this time honored tradition...advanced in age or not!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo on this first article! The adoration of the teen needs to stop already in our society. Looking forward to reading more of your wit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some may argue that I have a sense of wit! Thank you for the kind word!

      Delete