Read an interesting article about a Portland Diner owner who yelled at a toddler because her parents refused to take care of the issue themselves. Yes, you are paying for your meal, but so are the 75 other patrons in the establishment. Here's the deal, the parents enter the establishment with what I would assume was a hungry toddler. They order three, yes THREE, pancakes for this hungry child. Breakfast is served! Oh the joy that child must have felt. Finally(I imagine the little lady thinking), mom and dad, I can have my breakfast. I have been such a good girl waiting for this delicacy. However, mother and father, I lack the skills required to spread butter, pour syrup and cut up the wonderful steamy delicious pancakes. Could you please...wait...what...hey, why are you shoving food in your mouth...WAIT...I'm hungry too...please mother, I'm so hungry....father...please...for the love of...OMG...THEY'RE NOT FEEDING ME! THEY'RE IGNORING ME! Up until now this method has worked for me, I shall say out loud "Mother feed me please"...in the only language I know. (Commence to whimpering)... That's not working, hmmm...I remember yesterday when I didn't get my lunch in a timely fashion crying worked, let's see how that goes (commence to crying). No, only the lady that brought our lunch came over, she's suggesting we take our food out. NO I WANT TO EAT! MOOOOOOMMMMMM FEED ME! (commence to wailing and disturbing those around me...usually gets a look or two from dear old dad) NO! WHAT? OH MY GOODNESS I'm pretty sure they mean for me to starve to death. (Suddenly a loud bang and a be quiet in a stern voice) WHO ME? HEY YELL AT THEM, THEY'RE THE ONES ACTING LIKE CHILDREN. Ok, though, I'll quiet down...maybe now I'll get some...mmmm....pancakes, thanks mom and dad for making this a federal issue at least now I'm eating and my tummy isn't hurting anymore!
We've all been there. Honestly, I don't understand why parents feel the need to drag their children EVERYWHERE. I had two wonderful, beautiful, amazing toddlers. One of them (who shall remain nameless but was an only child for a while) was the kind of toddler who could sit for hours with a few pickles and a pack of crackers until food arrived. Then she (oops I gave away too much here) would quietly eat her meal and just be adorable throughout. We brought her everywhere, pretty much. Our other child was not as self controlled, for several reasons. He was (again, the secret identities have been revealed) a typical rambunctious little boy. He liked to wander about, he didn't like to sit still, he didn't enjoy SITTING and eating crackers, he felt the need to share with the world. He was very outgoing and social. Did I mention rambunctious? We chose carefully where we took him, making sure he went to kid friendly restaurants. One thing we NEVER tolerated was for either of our children to disrupt the dining experience of others, even if it was just a trip to BK or Mickey D's.
Darla, on behalf of the 75 others present I applaud you. I understand why you did it and if I were ever to find myself in your neck of the woods I would stop and patronize your business as often as possible while there. However, next time yell at the real toddlers, the two people who chose to ignore the needs of their daughter.
No comments:
Post a Comment